Thursday, March 4, 2010

I woke and felt alive. truly alive.

Yesterday I was sitting at a coffee shop and a little girl with huge brown eyes walked up to me and said, "Hello, my name is bella, what's your name, have I seen you in here yesterday, my brother's name is Jackson and he is this many (holding up 6 fingers) and she said, in her final breathe before I answered ANY of her questions, what are you coloring? I love coloring. haha.

I said, Hi Annabelle, I am coloring a picture of the throat-it's called the larynx. I pointed to hers and said, your voice comes out of here. And she looked at her dad and said "Daddy she's coloring the larynx" haha WOW... I could not make this child's beautiful inquisitiveness up if I tried. She was somethin' else. Wow, then she asked, "are you drinking coffee like my daddy?" I said, yes I already had mine though, and I put my mug inside that bin over there, maybe next to your daddy's mug. She looked up at me with those HUGE eyes and said ...taking me 100% literally, "I am going to check that bin" She walked over to the bin and said, no I know which one was my daddy's and his isn't sitting by any other mugs. haha her language and literalism was too much to handle. All I could do to not laugh was smile so huge at her and she just keep nodding my head and saying yeah yeah...
She said, you wanna know how much I grew over night daddy said? I said yeah please tell me... she said I went to bed and then came downstairs in the morning for pancakes and then ran back up the stairs and mommy said I grew this much (and she stood on her tippies).
You may not care about this child, but she brought so much life to my day. The funny thing is I am making huge decisions whether to teach in the schools or to be in the hospitals for my profession and I just cracked up at how much this little stranger meant to me. This little girl was like a "God wink" because how could I not want to have these kinds of conversations for the rest of my life? She is 20 years younger than me, but man did we have an incredible conversation.

Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
(Psalms 127:3-5 ESV)

No comments: