Saturday, January 29, 2011

Caribou coffee is the best

Happy weekend:) Happy last weekend of January actually:) Wow, February came as fast as lightning. I am eager for February much because it is one month closer to spring:) Ahh, what a dream spring will feel like after this brutal winter. So the latest craze is here is the Packers are going to the Superbowl. I am not really a big NFL follower in the first place, so I feel a bit left out-but secondly, if I follow any team, it is the Detroit Lions (and we all know how their last 10 years have been). haha, anyway...everyone is super jolly here because of the Superbowl. I don't even know if this is legal to mention...maybe I'll be black-listed, but I can't wait until the whole thing is over so someone in my world will talk to me about something different than the Packers:) Just a quick moment of honesty:)
Lately I've been dabbling into the book of 1 Samuel to read through the story of David and Goliath. In addition to my reading these stories, I picked up the book "Facing your Giants" by Max Lucado. I'm really enjoying the insights of this book.
The verse that has really struck me and I've been completely challenged by was

1 Samuel 17:48-"As Goliath moved closer to attack, David quickly ran out to meet him." I love this picture of how David attacks this HUGE problem:) He runs out to meet it. I mean, I seriously never do this-I either Hide...or classic meg-style, pretend it is not there.

I believe David could do this because He showed up to the battle talking about nothing BUT God. All of the other men accompanying him talked about Goliaths size, strength, past victories...and David shows up and says " Who is this uncircumsized Philistine that he should defy the armies of God? (v. 26) In Lucado's book, he counts nine references of which David speaks powerfully about his God and only two about Goliath. So I was struck-do I focus more on my problems than on my God? For instance...do I ponder God's grace 4 times as much as I ponder my guilt? Do I count a list of blessings four times as long as my list of complaints? Am I four times as likely to describe the strength of God as I am the demands of my day?

David had a soul and mind saturated with God. He ran toward the Giant...because He knew the armies of God were faithfully behind him.

So my own personal challenge ...and one I pitch to you-try and saturate your mind/soul with God's word this week and have eyes focused on God-rather than the troubles and "giants" you face daily. You and I will undoubtedly leave victorious over whatever "Goliath" we run into during our days.

No comments: