Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional.

Ahh, the month of August has been pretty wonderful! Everything from the weather to visits from family!
Well if there was ever a way that a 'teacher' should leave summer goin' out of style...I think I have done it! The beach days here have been incredible and I have finally mustered up the courage to get into the ocean more than a handful of times, when usually I watched at the base of the shoreline as the water drifted over my toes. In true Meg fashion, I'd ponder the great vastness that is the sea and after much deliberation within my head, I'd always choose NOT to go into the water.  Well, the recent change in attitude all started a couple of weeks ago when Jenja invited me down to her family's condo they rent for a week in the summer. A bunch of people were in attendance and I think because of the crowd, I went into  the ocean:) Positive, unspoken peer pressure 'if you will'. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it! Then, the next day, I went to the beach with my sister and brother in law...and I plunged in on my own accord! Dare I say I will continue to get in the Pacific ocean without fear from now on...It's lookin' optimistic. On a side note, I was on the treadmill today and I saw on the television that there have been many recent great white shark sightings in the past week all up and down the southern California coast .Oh life's humor...

Another thing about the treadmill...within the past month, every time I begin to input my age and weight into it...I keep pushing the down arrow and pushing enter on '27'. For those of you that know me, I am not turning 27 until next month. Dun, dun, dun...why in the world do I keep consistently reporting my age as 27? Oh the mystery... I really hope I always keep a fresh pair of youthful eyes on this world and an overzealous joy for life as the numbers grow higher:)

Students come back to school on September 5th. That means I have exactly three weeks to prep for the upcoming adventures. I am eagerly expectant for what God is going to do with this year! I can't wait to meet my new students and their families. HOORAH for loving your job! I will begin the year in a new school assignment which brings a myriad of feelings. This year, I want my life to be more compartimentalized. haha that word is made up for sure...You see, last year, my life blurred together and I never really fully present in any ONE thing because my work bled into so many aspects of my life. I had a hard time 'putting my work to rest'. Multi-tasking this past year all but killed me. Now, I probably can't stop multi-tasking at work, but my hope is that at home...I will be focused and fully present on my home life, friendships, and fulfilling activities. Does that make sense? (I hope... because it's a blog, so that question inevitably is rhetorical):)

Anyway, I have two book recommendations. They are legit and have been well-worth my time this summer!
The first 'The Reason for God' by Timothy Keller
The second, 'Costly Grace' by John Walker.

On another note, to all my friends in Columbus who went to the Mumford and Sons concert last night, YOU LUCKY SON' OF A GUNS...I wish I could have been there with you:) In spirit, they've been in my headphones all week!
I hope you have an amazing rest of your week...


No comments: