Sunday, August 26, 2012

So, hold high how faint your reason...

Happy Birthday Mom! I love you...
I have an pretty incredible set of parents, but my mom is hands down, one amazing woman.
Esthetically, she is really beautiful,  but her soul is one of the good ones, you know what I mean?
She's a real 'mover and shaker'...and I like that about her. I picked up many cool things from her, but also...many quirks... I'll fill you in perhaps!

1. It wasn't until recently that I realized that every time I go to the movies with people, they say, 'Meg...shhh' Even my husband is embarrassed to sit next to me during all films...I don't know. I realized recently that there are these 'Socially appropriate', almost socially pragmatic pauses that people rule as 'OKAY' to laugh during funny moments. Collectively, okay...this is expected. But, seriously, at one point or another...most people should be laughing when others are not because everyone is their own person and think different things are funny in life. Well, my mom taught me...not direct teaching, but probably by modeling it for me...that I can confidently laugh during the silent moments in the movie theater when I THINK THINGS ARE FUNNY (even if others are quiet). So, thank you Mom, for giving me that confidence.

2. How to write in cursive. I write in print about 1% of the time...I owe this to her. She also rarely prints. Our cursive looks similar to one another which is cool too.

3. She has a robust love for God. She taught me how to pray and talk to God. I mean, I'll be honest...not every child is taught that in Christian homes and in homes where they do not worship God or Jesus Christ. I thank my mom for teaching me that I can talk to Jesus even when my eyes are open and I'm in the middle of the kitchen and my heart is heavy. She never made it formulaic...and this has helped me understand that God is not a formula to understand, nor is how he accepts us. It isn't ...perfection  + tons of good things about myself = heaven. She always taught me being real with Jesus about 'my light and my dark' was the real relationship with God that the pews could never teach you. There aren't too many nights where I didn't walk past her bedroom door and see her with her Bible on her chest and her reading glasses on. I appreciated that about her...she wasn't perfect, but she knew who was....ya know?

4. Simple excitability... nothing more, nothing less. The smallest things in life amp my mom up. I like that, I want that zeal-everyday.

So those are the main things that I want to celebrate about her-the first two being more innocuous that the third and fourth. So, happy birthday you crazy, awesome woman!


Next on the agenda,...I have two verses from the Bible that are going to represent my work in the school this year. I am eager to share them...

The first is Philippians 2:12-15
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you in will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, "children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation." Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.

The second is 1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

I have met many of the staff members that I will be working with at the new school I have been assigned to for the year. I am elated to share that they have all been supremely kind and giving to me in my four short days at the sight. I am excited to start the school year. It's hard to believe that four years ago I was beginning graduate school this very week out in Redlands. Yikes, how time swiftly passes us by. Ahh..I have to leave for a group gathering...I will post more later. So much to share and the weekends are full of fun:)




No comments: